Saturday, April 22, 2023

Icehockey Legend

Lill-Pröjsarn
I spotted an icehockey legend at Nybroplan in Stockholm yesterday. And one of my childhood heroes. Ulf "Lill-Pröjsarn" Nilsson. He played for the Winnipeg Jets in the WHA, and also for the New York Rangers in the NHL. He was one of the first Swedish player to cross the pond back in the 1970s, together with players like Börje Salming R.I.P., and Anders Hedberg. I was a big hockey fan as a kid, and I watched every game that the Swedish national ice hockey team played. We were on opposite sides of the street waiting at a stop light on our eBikes. I spotted him at the same time as he noticed me. He was looking at my camera. I gave him a nod. He gave one back to me. I snapped the photo. Then as we passed one another on the crossing, another nod. He grew up in Nynäshamn, a city that I often visit. And I think Ulf was active for a while here at Flickr many years ago.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

Looks in fine form.

Jack said...

I don't remember him, but Ulf Samuelsson was also a Swedish player in the NHL. He was a very good defenseman for the Hartford Whalers in the 1980s. I had seasons tickets and cheered him on often.

RedPat said...

It is always a thrill to cross paths with one of your heroes. I remember him well when he played.

roentare said...

Well, never meet your hero ...

Bill said...

A thrilling sighting indeed.