Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Royal Guards

Royal Guards
I took a walk in the old town. Always fun to look at the tourists, and no one knows that I am a local, so I blend in nicely with the crowds. After a stroll around the big square, Stortorget, where they have the big Christmas market that I have shown you a couple of times, I walked up to the Great Church, Storkyrkan. It is next to the Royal Palace, so I decided to get a photo of one of the Royal Guards. I gave her a little nod before I took the portrait, and she gave me one back. The sensible thing to do when you shoot someone that is armed, pun intended. The name Ven on her peaked cap tells me that she is from Fjärde sjöstridsflottiljen. Or The 4th Naval Warfare Flotilla. They are based at Berga in Haninge and I have been there on an open-house weekend a number of years ago.

11 comments:

Bob Crowe said...

Intimidating, or not quite. Why do you need a bayonet on an automatic rifle?

roentare said...

She looks lethal!

Stefan Jansson said...

Part of the uniform Bob. The guards have been here since 1523. Uniforms and weapons have changed, but the tradition lives on.

William Kendall said...

A good tradition.

s.c said...

Beautiful portrait from that guard. I like it.

RedPat said...

Don't mess with her.

Sharon said...

Great portrait! She is looking a lot more serious than the guard in the background.

Bill said...

What a fine portrait of the guard. You want to stay on her good side. :)

Jack said...

When I was in Stockholm I took photographs of guards, but I made sure that they weren't looking at me when I did it. Mine were male guards.

Tamera said...

She looks very serious about her job.

Linda said...

Great shot. She has her feet planted firmly.