Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It was 1952...

It was 1952...
...she had just turned 18. When she got a job she needed a bicycle to commute. So she bought a Crescent. Years later when she moved to Stockholm she took the bike with her. Sixty-two years later she still uses the bike on a daily basis, (weather permitting). Most of the parts are original, but she has changed the saddle and the rack. I know all this because when she came out from my favorite cafe yesterday I told her that I had just photographed her bicycle. So she figured she needed to tell me the story about the bike.

10 comments:

Jack said...

Congratulations to her!!! In this disposable world, her attachment to that bicycle is uplifting.

William Kendall said...

It looks well taken care of!

Luis Gomez said...

Gorgeous. Beautiful shot.

Stuart said...

That's a great story. I thought I was reading page one of an interesting novel. Nice shot too !

Mo said...

A wonderful story

Lowell said...

I don't know the name, Crescent, but the bike is in pretty good shape for all the years it has seen. I've got one from 1994 and thought that was old!

VP said...

You do not hear stories like this one every day. My compliments to the owner and to the maker of the bicycle!

Rose said...

So few words in such a great story...loved it. And love the picture.

Bob Crowe said...

I'm very impressed. She is 80 now? The last time I rode a bicycle (been a few years) I needed a steroid shot in my knee. They must have been great bikes.

Stefan Jansson said...

They still are great bikes. I have one, although I'm not riding it at the moment.And they actually started as an American company called Western Wheel Works.