Friday, June 28, 2024

Midsommarstockholm

Looking up Buttericks Busker Midsommarstockholm Sko Uno Jeans Uno Blue Fox Gamla Brogatan Ironwork Urverk Klara kyrka
It can be a spooky feeling arriving to Stockholm during the Midsummer weekend. Most locals leave the city Thursday afternoon to celebrate Midsummer in the archipelago or wherever their summer house is located. I kinda like cycling and walking around Stockholm during that period, and here are a few snaps from last Saturday. The first photo shows the underside of a passage connecting two buildings at Klara Norra Kyrkogata at Norrmalm. Designed by Erik Lallerstedt back in the 1930s. Normally heavy traffic here, but not on this day, so I could stand in the middle of the street photographing. Butterick's change their display window quite often. This is their Summer window, and if you look more closely at it to the left... Eastern European man playing the accordion outside Buttericks in the third photo. He played a very modern pop tune. Two seconds after I snapped my photo, a guy walked up with a few bills. Next, what I was actually looking for. Empty seats! A café at the very trendy Gamla Brogatan, but closed for Midsummer. Sko Uno opened for business when I was a teenager. Hip then, hip now. They sell shoes. But also jeans at another store, and the bird in the fifth photo is their jeans' logo. I tried photographing the Blue Fox store window earlier in the week, but it was too many people walking by. Easier now. Next, a look at the pedestrian street itself. Normally packed with people, but now it was just people at the one open restaurant, a few wandering tourists, and me. The Swans have been there for a few years. Around the corner back on Klara Norra Kyrkogata I stopped for a few overhead photos of the ironworks at this door. Next, a clock that is one of a pair, also designed by Erik Lallerstedt 90 years ago. We finish where we started. I parked my bike here and, looking past the old post building, we can see the church tower at Klara, that one is three photos stitched together.

11 comments:

s.c said...

Fantastic citytrip again. Love them and must do the same in Amsterdam when I find the time.

roentare said...

These are very nice frames. What is blue fox a shop of?

Stefan Jansson said...

Heavy Metal outfits, anything to look cool if you are a rocker. So not for me!

Catarina said...

The best time to walk around. The crowds are temporarily absent. : )

Anonymous said...

Lovely street photography 😍

Linda said...

So much pattern and detail! The geese and the strange bird are fun to see.

Jack said...

You have a wonderful collection of summertime sights in and around Stockholm. I especially like the flying pink birds, the line-up of chairs waiting for diners, the grill with a man's face in the center, and the clock.

Stefan Jansson said...

I had a look at that street today, one week later, and it was very crowded.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice to be able to take that underpass photo without the risk of being run over by a car.

Stefan Jansson said...

I remember seeing a local politician taking credit for the swans, he has moved on since, and is one of two "språkrör" for the green party today.

RedPat said...

What a nice walk that was.
I was in Stockholm for midsummer when I did my trip to Sweden years ago and we were shocked that the place had emptied out and so many things were closed.