Monday, March 03, 2008

Meeting With A Sculptor

Lennart Jansson

On my way home I suddenly heard the sound of a chain saw. I stopped and saw (no pun intended), a man under a tented roof working on a wooden sculpture. I walked over for a chat. Meet Lennart Jansson. An artist and sculptor since 40 years. He has his work shop in Håga were I met him. Currently working on a big sculpture for a spa in Saltsjöbaden. You can see the bottom part here. (more photos later). It's a Carolean soldier that Lennart will be paid around 30 000 SEK for. Since 1985 he has been working with the chain saw. Before that he carved with knives. For many years he toured the country in his van, visiting markets where he sold his art. He makes everything from bird houses (starting at around 1000 SEK), to very comfy chairs (made from Norway Spruce), and cool bird statues and figurines that will set you back a few thousand SEK. When I told him about the 100 strangers project, he had me helping him carrying out some art pieces from a shed, so that I could get some more photos of his art. I will make a collage later. He gave me his business card and I will talk to some people that might be interested in selling his art. This is my fourth photo for the 100 Strangers project that has to be one of the best flickr ideas ever. The project also have a web site.

No comments: