Monday, September 01, 2008

The President

The President

This is Robban. His friends also call him Lång-Robban, or Tall Robert, which is weird since I'm not that tall, he told me. We met close to Vegabaren in Handen. The hamburger bar that was Sweden's first Drive-in kiosk when it opened back in 1958. Saturday saw a big car meet with greasers from all over the country visiting. Robban is the president of the biggest greasers club in Stockholm. It is called Moonshine Cruisers. The club has been around since 1985. We have 18 full members that have the club vest and around 90 other sponsoring members. Tonight we are holding a big party at our club house in Farsta for all our visiting friends. There are people here from all over Sweden, even from as away as Kiruna ( 1310 km), so it will be a fun night. Greasers have been driving out to this famous hamburger bar for forty years. This annual meet is the owners way of paying back for all those years, Robban told me. Professionally Robban works as an electrician. He has a few cars of course. He arrived with his girlfriend in his 1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible.


This is my 79th photo for the 100 Strangers project. You can see the rest of my strangers in my Set

3 comments:

Kris McCracken said...

What an interesting sub culture. Do they dress like greasers all the time, or only for meetings? I think that I’d like them!

Stefan Jansson said...

Depends on how involved you are. Some are rockabilly fans 24/7. Others take out the car on weekends. There are more Greasers the further away from Stockholm that you get. Some facts in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raggare

Kris McCracken said...

Cool. There's nothing that I know of this broad in Australia. Sweden seems to have a lot of vibrant subcultures!