Sunday, September 07, 2008

Agnes & Martin

Agnes & Martin ♫

Music from the Middle Ages

There was a concert with music from the Middle Ages, performed by the duo Agnes & Martin at the Art Gallery in Österhaninge this afternoon. I learned about that from a poster I noticed today, so I decided to check it out. I arrived at the gallery 15 minutes before the show started. The duo was sitting in the garden and I had the chance to talk to Martin before their performance, and after the gig I got a few words with Agnes. They are busy people. Martin has a smithy, shop and a museum (opens in November 2008), in Handen where you can also buy jewellery designed by Agnes. Together they have a son, called Lo, and the family lives next to the museum. As I started to talk to Martin we exchanged cards, and that's when I realised who he was. Funnily enough I had a conversation about Martin and Agnes only a week ago when I met one of my previous strangers, the architect Rikard Lundin. Rikard asked me if I knew about the museum, which I did and we then talked about Martin & Agnes, so it's very typical that I should meet the two of them a week later! Agnes comes from Västerhaninge and she's currently taking a course in Museum Education at the Stockholm University. The two of them often tour the country with a group called Tattarklanen. It's like a medieval and Viking tivoli (a travelling theme park), Martin told me. With performances, music and more. We have also played in some of the restaurants in the Old Town in Stockholm he added.


This is my 82th photo for the 100 Strangers project. You can see the rest of my strangers in my Set

2 comments:

Bob Crowe said...

That's a wonderful double portrait. The word that first comes to my mind is humane - the people are ordinary and intense, unselfconscious and have such beautiful eyes. Very nice light, too. Excellent work all around.

Stefan Jansson said...

Thanks. One week after the concert I met a woman who looked familiar. I didn't recognise her at first, but after a few minutes I realised that it was Agnes mother whom I had talked to at the concert. I seem to remember only the faces I photograph!