Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hammar Runestone

Hammar Rune stone

This rune stone can be seen behind the Hammar Estate in Tungelsta. It was found at Vreta and moved to this location many years ago. Kenny has a photo of this stone and he has also translated the inscription to modern Swedish and then Ylva translated that to English. And that reads something like this: Þórir and Auðsteinn ... ... Ônundr raised the stone ... ... his. RAÄ info. I took this photo this afternoon after I had a long talk to Charlotte who lives at Hammar.

2 comments:

b.c. said...

Hi Steffe! Too bad I can't understand Swedish... that stone looks like its been around forever.

Thanks for visiting my Chicago dp. Have you been to the Andersonville neighborhood? You mentioned it in your comment. I'll try to take photos around there when my schedule permits.

Stefan Jansson said...

Never been there, but I remember reading an article in a Swedish paper about Andersonville being a place where many Swedish settlers lived. Most of the rune stones in Haninge dates back to the Viking era, so they are around 1000 years old. This one has lost the top, so it's tricky to understand what it says.