Saturday, April 24, 2021

A little cemetery

Headstone Bell Tower
Cycling to a nature reserve in Nynäshamn last week I stopped at a little cemetery. It dates back to 1874. Only 129 souls rest here. It started as a private cemetery for people from the nearby Nynäs Gård, (manor house), but was later opened up for the public so to speak. I couldnt read the name on this headstone but thought it looked nice with all the Spring flowers. The bell tower up on the hill is a bit unusal in design. Reminds me more of a windmill. It has an interesting story. It was paid for by the workers at the estate who didn't like the idea that the same bell that rang when it was time to go to work should be used for when they had passed away. I will show you photos from the nature reseve tomorrow.

5 comments:

s.c said...

It certainly looks peaceful.

Andy said...

When I photograph old cemeteries I always wonder about those buried and what kind of life they had.

Sharon said...

I love that carpet of blue around the headstone.

Marleen said...

A remarkable place. Nice to read its history.

William Kendall said...

Quite a lush carpet of flowers.