Thursday, March 26, 2009

Relaxing on a bench

Relaxing on a bench

I was eating a light lunch in the spring sunshine yesterday. Sitting on a bench outside the Coop Forum supermarket in Handen, when Nils joined me. He was smoking a cigarette and asked if the smoke bothered me, and we started talking. Nils lives here in Handen at Kolartorp. He used to work with building maintenance but eight years ago he was diagnosed with Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I said you better quit smoking then, and he said he couldn't. But at least he didn't smoke as much as he used to. Originally from Finland, Nils moved to Sweden with his mother back in the 1960ths. He is divorced and has a son. We had time to talk about the shipping industry and a few other things before it was time for Nils to go shopping.

6 comments:

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

another nice portrait. It is good that you talk with people in your community. I am glad you are enjoying the cactus on my site. thanks for your comments!

Lois said...

Such a handsome fellow! I'm sorry to hear he can't stop smoking though.

Lowell said...

Excellent portrait...and fascinating commentary. Sounds like he enjoyed talking to you.

Anonymous said...

I really like these portraits you do. Maybe one day I'll see my wife's cousin - he lives somewhere in Hanige :-)
My neighbor had the same diagnosis - needed quadruple bypass surgery - he said no thanks and changed his diet and exercise completely and he's still here after a year.

stromsjo said...

The best portraits are the kind you don't have to go looking for.

Stefan Jansson said...

Everyone enjoys it when I'm around! I will keep an eye open for your wife's cousin Mike! It's a touch disease to cope with. Interesting point Per!