Friday, November 06, 2009

Reaching For the Sky

The new biofuel power plant

This construction site with cranes right and left will be the new thermal power plant in Jordbro. Owned by Vattenfall. Built next to the existing plant that I visited last year during the open house weekend. The cost of the new power plant is around 600 Million SEK. The source of energy from a biofuel plant comes from wooden pellets, regarded as one of the substitutes for fossil fuels like coal and oil for heating. I'm no expert on how this works, but Vattenfall has some information available in English. I have always been intrigued by building sites so below are a slideshow with the photos I have taken during the construction process so far. The first number of photos are old ones.

Skywatch Friday.

14 comments:

Lois said...

Very interesting and a wonderful SkyWatch!

Lowell said...

I think just about anything's better than coal; and nuclear is so dangerous with too much contamination of the neighborhood, so hopefully this thing will do the job.

Nice shot!

Jim said...

Interesting skywatch.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Leif Hagen said...

Looks like a good alternative! I want a tour of the plant!

brattcat said...

Fantastic. I hope we see more of these plants all around the planet.

eden said...

love it. very nice idea and good capture.

Don and Krise said...

Nice series Steffe, and a great SkyWatch set. I hope it turns out to be smart and efficient.

i said...

What an interesting shot!

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Beautiful and lovely shot !!

Halcyon said...

Very interesting post. Maybe my company will get some business out of it!

Kim said...

Awesome slide show Steffe. I liked seeing the early and late shots of it's progress. It is an attractive plant. I wonder how many people will be employed there? Wouldn't it be great if the train stopped right at the gate to let commuters off for work :-). I love seeing the crossed cranes of bright colors. I still can't get over these types of cranes that fit in compact spaces and do so much work. . .for a long time when I saw them I thought they were some sort of concrete pouring device. Cool Skywatch!
-Kim

Mo said...

I'm fascinated with building sites too. ALthough not easy to get close enough to photograph

VP said...

Very good nirth-of-a-plant series. I am interested in building sites and usually shoot many pictures of them, but with the speed of construction here I'll never see the end of most of them...

Stefan Jansson said...

Not sure how many people will work here Kim. If everything goes according to the plan, the new plant will open in August next year. The heating process will start in May. The capacity for distant heating will be around 23-megawatt. Since I took my last photo here the new smokestack has been erected.