Thursday, October 08, 2009

Woke Up This Morning...

News At Six

Stolen, dumped and torched


This was unexpected. And a bit unnerving. I was sound asleep yesterday night. Probably dreaming about something weird, when I was awaken by a unfamiliar sound. It was still dark outside but there was a strange light from the window. Looking out I got a bit of a shock. Only meters from the house a car had just burst into flames! After calling the fire services I quickly dressed and grabbed the camera. It was raining, but the flames were still a few meters high, and as I walked closer I could hear a few small explosions so I stopped where I was and took a few photos. After twenty minutes the fire fighters arrived and put out the fire. A couple of hours later in the morning I walked down to the torched car for another look. My neighbour Danuta came over. She had heard some people outside her bedroom in the early hours and that was probably the car thieves running away. This kind of thing isn't that uncommon these days. I'm guessing it was a few local kids that stole the car and took it for a joyride.

16 comments:

MrsLittleJeans said...

Sorry about this...this is unnerving!

Lowell said...

What a shame! Scary, too. You'd make a good news reporter...right on the scene!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! That's really frightening!

(And mean, and a waste of resources, as well, and polluting!) AK!

(And scary!

impressive photos!

brattcat said...

This makes me so sad, this kind of needless destruction. You did however capture a powerful photograph.

Olivier said...

malheureusement images récurrentes en banlieue parisienne ;((

Unseen Rajasthan said...

This is so horrible and a shameful act !! People work hard to purchase stuff and some want to enjoy them for free..So poor !!

Rob Siemann said...

Quite extraordinary! Hope that doesn't happen too often! And yep, 20 minutes is a very long time. Had someone been inside...

B SQUARED said...

In Sweden? What is the world coming to?

Allison said...

It took 20 minutes for the fire fighters to get there? Good thing it wasn't your house, Steffe!

Lois said...

Oh my gosh that's scary! I'm glad no one was hurt. I hope they find out who did it.

Luis Gomez said...

Not to much of a joy ride. Sorry to hear this happened so close to your house. Great images.

Stefan Jansson said...

In fairness to the fire fighters, they had been informed that no one person or building were in real danger here. Had this happened years ago when we had a fire station in Tungelsta they would only have had a few hundred metres to drive. As it is today the nearest station is in Handen a ten kilometre drive. It's not the first time car thieves have left a stolen car here.Here are a few photos from 2007.

cieldequimper said...

Joyride and then burn it. Makes me so angry because the insurance won't be enough for a new car..

Copenhagen said...

That is sad...I feel bad for the car owner.

Don and Krise said...

Wow, what a scare. I'm glad it didn't spread to your home. (Or anyone else's for that matter.)

VP said...

Again it isn't fair, flaming cars just out of your door... Jokes apart this kind of things is not commen even here, where everybody does anything he wishes! Hope it was for fun and not to cover some worse crime. Keep safe!