Thursday, May 07, 2009

The New Motorway

A Motorway Collage

Over the weekend when most of the work on the new motorway between Haninge and Nynäshamn was at a stand still, I took my bicycle down to Hemfosa (see my second photo from my post the other day), for a sneak peak and a somewhat illegal test run. I had to climb up a hill near a pedestrian tunnel to get onto the road, but it was well worth it. The part I checked out was a stretch between two bridges. One of the bridges is almost completed, work on the other is yet to be started. Svevia is one of the contractors that is responsible for this part of the new road. The big yellow thing is that companies mobile stone crushing machine and asphalt machine. At the moment it is placed on what will be the new road, and this part of the road is supposed to be finished this autumn. The old road is known in Sweden as the Road of Death. Over the years many people have lost their lives here. Two years ago I showed a photo of a car collision. When the new motorway opens for traffic, the old road will be used mainly by cyclists and the odd tractor.


The original photos can be seen in my flickr set.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice set of photos for a limited audience.

VP said...

I like construction sites and strange machines. The collision photo is quite clear about the need for the new road.

Lois said...

Interesting collage of photos! That's a terrible name for that road. It's good they are building a new one.

cieldequimper said...

Engaging in illegal activities now, are we? ;-)

Stefan Jansson said...

Ha ha, yes living dangerously. And inspired by one of my Strangers, Leffe. Since I first met him we seem to meet all the time. He was the one that told me to try this as he had already done it a couple of times!

Lowell said...

You do well with collages...the only thing I don't understand is that I thought it was the law you would be in a center picture!

And I don't see you anywhere!

Stefan Jansson said...

I can probably fix that Jacob. I did bring my little point&shoot and did actually snap a few self portraits while on the motorway. And there is a flickr feature to replace photos, so if you give me a few minutes I will fix that horrible mistake!