Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Burning Those Calories

Burning Those Calories

This is Marianne, a kindergarten teacher, who lives in Jordbro. I met her on the walkway between Västerhaninge and Jordbro. She was out power walking. Supposedly one of the best ways to stay fit. Also known as Nordic Walking. It can look a bit silly, and Marianne told me she knew a few people that did feel a bit embarrassed when they were out walking with their poles. But not Marianne. She's out exercising most every day. And she's not alone, the power walkers are everywhere these days. A few years ago she was a runner and competed in different foot races, but it was just another way to stay fit she told me. You better get on with it she told me, so I took a few snaps, and after that Marianne took off down the road.

8 comments:

VP said...

I thought you just made up this one, but, after checking, I feel so sorry for myself spending hours on a couch!

cieldequimper said...

LOL @ Vogon Poet. I feel sorry for myself too!

Lois said...

This looks like an activity that I need to be doing!

Clueless in Boston said...

She looks like a no nonsense teacher. I look the look in her eye and smirk on her lips.

Lowell said...

She does look determined. We have power walkers, too, but they don't use the poles.

@ Vogon Poet and CQ - I don't feel sorry at all for laying about. Heh. Heh.

Stefan Jansson said...

Spending hours on the couch can be fun sometimes.

AB said...

There was a mad craze for Nordic Walking over here in Germany a year or so ago, where, at one point, it seemed that having two poles dangling from your hands was compulsory for entering the woods. Now the craze seems to have died down somewhat. I am not surprised; no one seemed to be doing it properly. I think they need a few Nordics likes Marianne to teach them.

Sally said...

A woman truly on the move! I've seen people on bushwalks with European walking poles (not power walking) and they swear by them as great assistance to walking.