Monday, December 01, 2008

Windows and Mysteries




I have a thing for circles. I see them everywhere. Here's four good ones from my flickr collection that has some 400 photos.

Top left is from a church window in Handen. I was out on a photo promenade with a friend a while back. By chance we ended up having coffee at the church as all the cafe's were closed. After the coffee break we took the opportunity to have a look around and that's when I photographed the circular window.

Top right. A circular hole in the wall at the mall in Handen. The stairs leads down to a square where you will find the cultural centre.

Bottom left. A mystery stone. One of six King Stones at Sanda. No one knows for certain what they mean or who made them. For centuries local people have speculated about their origin. One theory says that the stones were made after a visit of an unknown King. It is said that the King was a bit of a ladies man and that he had fathered a few children in the neighbourhood. I guess we will never know for certain.

Bottom right. Another little mystery from Sanda. Out on a bicycle ride I noticed a home made sign on a gravel road. The sign read Chicken Pasture Cottage. Intrigued I stopped and walked up a hill and when I came around a corner I found a red cottage that looked just like a museum. Or an old summer house. I called out but no one answered. So I decided to have a look around. I got the camera ready and for ten minutes I walked around the place taking photos. Up against a wall I found this wooden wheel. Later I have talked with a few people, interested in local history, but no one seems to know anything about this place.


This is theme day. The theme is Circles/Spheres. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants for the month of December.

17 comments:

bitingmidge said...

That's what I call making the most of a theme day!

Cheers!

Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia

slim said...

Great examples . . .

Jane Hards Photography said...

Nicely done. Four very differing examples of the theme.

USelaine said...

I like all of them, all for different reasons. What a treat! Thanks!

Clueless in Boston said...

Excellent post for theme day. Very well done.

Denton said...

Very impressive collage. The mix of old and modern is interesting. Nice contribution to theme day.

Bergson said...

excellent collage

Diederick Wijmans said...

Better than these photos to make this theme day complete...!
Cheers!

Hope said...

A very interesting post! I am intrigued by the round Stone photo and bit of history on it. All 4 photos are excellent! A wonderful collage!

kuanyin333 said...

Well done collage!

Susie of Arabia said...

What a lovely collage the four photos make! Nice job on Theme Day!

Tanya Breese said...

The wagon wheel is my favorite (I love the rural look) and now I'm fascinated by the mysterious story. You have to find out more!

Kate said...

I particularly like the church window...very contemporary and modern.

Ken Mac said...

set against each other those circles look like something other circles!

Baruch said...

A beautiful collage for theme day. My favourite is the church window

Tash said...

I love stained glass windows and yours is just exquisite. really a lovely, unusual collection of circles

Stefan Jansson said...

Thanks all. I have tried to get some more info about the King stones but no luck so far.