Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Sickla kanal

Slusstornet Göteborg, but in Stockholm
I posted the top photo, taken with my mirrorless Canon at flickr without any real background as I sometimes do with my images. But then a long time contact said that it was a lovely sight, and it is, now. So here is the back story: Everything in this photo is kinda new. Except for the canal. It was constructed in the late 1920s. Back then this whole area was just nature. Then came an ugly, but working industrial park. I was here a few times in the 1980s when I worked at a company on Södermalm, and we used to go to this industrial area for a few jobs every now and then. Back then it looked like a slum city, with corrugated steel buildings and what have you. Today the area is totally transformed. Around 25 000 people live here in very modern houses with award winning architecture surrounded by water. And a few thousand people also work here in modern high-rises. If you visited, say in 1985, like I did, and came back today you would have a really hard time believing it was the same place. Oh and the tower is called Slusstornet. The Sluice Tower. Designed by Fidjeland Arkitektkontor. The second photo, snapped with my Canon 77D, focuses more on the restaurant. It is called Göteborg, the Swedish name for Gothenburg. They offer modern & classic Swedish menus delivered in a casual & contemporary eatery with riverside terrace. At least if you wan't to believe the restaurant's web site.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a transformation.

RedPat said...

I would love to try out that restaurant.

JudithK said...

It is interesting to live in the same place for a long time. I have. Your place today looks very pleasant these days. Now we can wonder about transformations in the future.. I'm so old, I won't see what happens over an equivalent number of years where I live...unless something extraordinary happens. At any moment, things feel permanent. But they're not.

roentare said...

After reading your commentary, the image comes alive. Love the little stories about your photo

Amy said...

It looks like a really nice place to live.