Monday, October 24, 2011

Stone Ship

Stone ship

I took a walk at the old burial ground in Jordbro yesterday. This is a stone ship, or Skeppssättning in Swedish. The grave field dates back to the Bronze Age, and it is the oldest in the greater Stockholm area. It was used between 600 BC and 400 AD. There are around 1000 graves here. It was forgotten for many centuries. When the railway line Nynäsbanan was constructed a little over a century ago no one knew that they were building it on an ancient burial ground. One of the guys that I see at the cafe every now and then is the archaeologist Roger Wikell. During his diggings at the grave field he found proof that people lived here 9000 years ago during the Stone Age. Something to think about when you walk there today.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Really interesting but I have had a few wines tonite and found the bokeh very disorientating!

Dina said...

Stone ships! I never knew. It is fascinating, thank you!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Very worthwhile and sobering to do the archeology.

The stone boat layout reminds me of the Sea Scout troop I belonged to as a child in St. Louis. We had a mock sailboat laid out on the floor of the basement of the synagogue where we met so we could practice and hold meetings in the "boat."

Birdman said...

Love your recent shots.

Stefan Jansson said...

Ha ha, I hear you Mark. I will probably shot a few more photos like this one, The Nifty Fifty is a fun toy.