Sunday, January 16, 2011

Puzzled

Puzzled Me

This post is a bit different. Last year someone came up with a social photo game in one of my flickr groups. The idea was to take a photo and cut it up in 35 smaller pieces. Each participant was then given one piece of the puzzle, but we didn't know anything about the other pieces, and only one person knew how the original photo looked. Our mission should we choose to accept it was to go out and find something that looked like our part of the puzzle. When I received my piece I was as puzzled as the above self portrait shows. After two months I was close to giving up but in the end I decided that my piece looked a bit like a railway track. A couple of days ago the puzzle was finished and below you can see the final result. It is of course impossible to see that this is supposed to be a famous painting! But if you would like to find which painting it is, hop over to Dopiaza's blog for a cool widget that has the answer.

15 comments:

fruentimmeret said...

Artig pusle-foto ;)

Kreativt

Sharon Creech said...

It took me a while to figure this out, but it's really, really neat, esp. the widget that lets you transform the pieces into the original. . .

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

What a fun project. I loved morphing the collage into the original painting.

We have an art group with a different theme. Every 6 weeks or so someone chooses a subject. Then we all get together after creating a work of art with that same theme. They can be paintings, prints, photos, sculpture, mixed media, etc. The diversity of interpretation of the same theme is fascinating.

Our group of friends includes professional artists and amateurs, with varying levels of ability. A city of Phoenix art center and museum has accepted the pieces for an exhibition.

RedPat said...

That is great fun!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

that is really so cool. I can see how it would be challenging to 'translate' your piece of the puzzle.

I would love to try something like that.

Anonymous said...

This is quite wonderful, Steffe. I agree that the composite image bears a resemblance to Monet's original.

A terrific exercise. Well persevered to all those who participated.

Pull yourself together now, boy. You have a future to look toward!!

Dejta said...

Interesting picture puzzle.
All the photos exudes oneness.
It's like a moving perspective.

Peter said...

I have no idea, but it sounds a good way to stetch the old brain cells, like the self-portrait.

Jim said...

Interesting.

Stefan Jansson said...

That sounds like great idea Dave. And the exhibition must be fun.

When I joined the project I figured I could just go out and lift the camera and find something resembling that piece, but it was very tricky.

Jørgen Carlsen said...

You have something with your eyes, I noticed first, but it is indeed interesting to se the participants photos of a part of the painting compared to the original. It is a very fine association to the railway you got.

VP said...

I know the painting, but didn't recognize it before using the widget.
Almost unbelievable and absolutely creative!

Lowell said...

I can see the final piece which when fitted into the puzzle will show...a Steffe!

Yeah!

You are very creative and have a good sense of humor!

I'd stay away from this kind of thing, though; my life is puzzling enough! :-)

paul said...

The deconstruction of Steffe - great shot and interesting link and project.

T. Becque said...

Ha! What a great project although it involves some thinking which may or may not suit me depending on the day!

As to your tree, small things come in big packages :)