Sunday, July 13, 2008

Meeting with a World Champion

Anne Sundell

This is Anne Sundell. I ran into her at Gålö yesterday on my way to Sandemar. She was heading for Gålö, to visit a friend who lives on the peninsula. I asked if I could take a photo and she was all smiles. As we started to talk I realised that I knew who she was. Anne used to compete in modern pentathlon. And is a former World Champion! I remember seeing her on TV and reading about her in the sport pages. Anne grew up in Lida, not far from where I live. We went to the same school in Jordbro for three years, but not at the same time. After retiring from the pentathlon she has been into triathlon for the last thirteen years. And is a member of the Spif Triathlon club in Stockholm. Her next race will be the triathlon sprint (Swimming: 750 m, Cycling: 20 km, Running: 5 km), at Kalmar in a few weeks time. These days she lives in Handen. Professionally she works as a police officer and has competed in the World Police & Fire Games and won a total of six medals. I'm guessing she is the fittest of all my strangers!

This is my 57th photo for the 100 Strangers project. You can see the rest of my strangers in my Set

3 comments:

Sally said...

Is there a female equivalent of the Tour de France?

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

You were lucky.
Did you meet our everlasting champion Jeannie Longo ?

Stefan Jansson said...

Why would I have met Jeannie Longo, does she live in Sweden?