Sunday, August 20, 2017

The Lifelong Photographer

The Lifelong Photographer
I noticed a photographer in action in Handen earlier in the week so I decided to stop for a chat and a chance to take another portrait for my Human Family Project. This is Göran. He lives at Myrmalmsringen in Haninge and was out photographing some of the recent changes in the area. He told me that he had lived there since that residential area was built back in the early 1980s. Photography has been a lifelong passion for Göran who started out at the age of twelve. Fiftyfive years later he still uses the camera most days. Back in the analogue days he had his own darkroom and experimented a lot with B&W photography. And he did a lot of work with reversal film as well. Back in the day he did many paid gigs that involved weddings and school photography. I told Göran to get in touch with the local historical association, Haninge Hembygdsgille as he has a lot of photos from around Haninge covering the last 35 years or so. Today he shoots with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III with four different lenses, including a quality macro lens and a good zoom. He also told me, (jokingly), that I might have to do a bit of image editing on the portrait as he preferred to be behind the camera but that didn't seem necessary to me.

3 comments:

Kay said...

This is a fine portrait. But I agree with him: I much prefer to be on the other side of a camera.

Lasse Jansson said...

Trevligt porträtt. Visst är det så att vi som är ivriga hobbyfotografer oftast klarar oss undan från att bli fotograferade. Skulle någon försöka har vi ju en kamera framför ansiktet... Kul att du träffade på en person som, precis som du själv, dokumenterar närområdets omgivningar och förändringar. Bra att du tipsade honom vidare så att bilderna kan komma fler till nytta och glädje!

Sharon said...

Sounds like he has decades of work that is worth sharing with the world.