Wednesday, May 26, 2010

That Old Tree

That Old Tree

Open Landscape

Finally some news about The Old Tree. There have been plans to build a new national arena for horse racing here. Something people have been debating for quite some time. I have met people who are behind the idea, because of all the money it would generate, and locals who would like to keep the open landscape as it is. On my way to the old tree the other evening, I stopped for a chat with the film icon/journalist and editor Christina Lindberg who can see the tree from her home at Välsta. She has worked hard to stop the race track, and she told me that the plans for the track has now been scrapped. Apparently Solvalla backed out of the project. So hurrah for that! Christina also informed me that the municipality have decided to set aside some money to look into what might happen to this area in the future. If you are new to this blog and are wondering what I am going on about, have a look at the slideshow below.

14 comments:

MrsLittleJeans said...

So you are saying that good things do happen...so glad the tree is staying!

RedPat said...

The old tree is saved! Who does the property belong to? Could it become a permanent park?

Clueless in Boston said...

Another great shot of that old tree. I looked at the pano on Flickr and I'm guessing it was your bike to the left of the tree.

brattcat said...

Very good news indeed. The tree is saved, the ending is happy, and the leaves once again emerge for another summer.

Olivier said...

le panoramique est magnifique et une superbe composition

Peter said...

Love the tree, and the slideshow, genius.

cieldequimper said...

Good to see it again and to know that it'll stay!

Brett said...

great set of shots

Stefan Jansson said...

The land is owned by the municipality and is used by a local farmer, you have seen many photos of his land, just try and search för Nedersta or Nödesta on this blog.

The other owner is a local developer. He wanted to build a golf course here a few years ago but luckily that never happened.

You are very observant. That was my bike.

And yes, the tree is finally turning green again.

Bill said...

I love that all-season pallette of this tree, it's fantastic. Great to hear the conservationists have won the debate.

Jørgen Carlsen said...

Fine the plans has been stopped - so we will be able to follow the worlds "That old tree".

Lois said...

Great news!

Unknown said...

Love the Open Landscape and I'm glad the tree has been spared... so far!

T. Becque said...

You have a tree, I have a wall. I'm glad your tree will survive :)
Thanks for the information on computers, programs, etc. Looks like I'm already using a lot of what everyone else is using, need to work on the computer part though.
I wanted to tell you that I shot my first stranger yesterday, it went much better than my first attempt! I think I will post it Thursday.