Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sheep Shearer

Sheep shearing

Bigger photo.

A sheep shearer in action. Every year in the early summer the Agricultural College at Berga in Haninge has an open-house weekend. As a kid I used to come here with my parents. As it was a warm and sunny day I took the bike over to Berga on Saturday. The place was absolutely crowded. Long queues for everything that you could eat, but as I had anticipated that, (visited just after breakfast), I had a great time looking at all the animals, pigs, cows, horses and more. Also saw lots of tractors, farming equipment, machines and farming buildings. Then I cooled off with a visit to the museum. The farm here dates back over 800 years. The college is not that old, it opened in 1922. Many students live here year round. There's a castle down by the bay built by Helge Axelson Johnson. Today the military owns that part of the estate. I will be uploading a few photos from my visit over the next day. You can see them HERE. Did I buy anything? As a matter of fact I did. One big jar of cloudberry jam, so I will be eating a lot of waffles now...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think these men have been overlooked for the most part. I also think I saw somewhere, sometime ago, a machine that does this without cuts, scrapes or nicks. Have you seen that?

It is a nice photograph and I like it very much.

Abraham Lincoln's kidney stone attack...
I rolled on the floor, puked, screamed, and passed out. When I woke up the neighbor was gone.
Brookville Daily Photo

Stefan Jansson said...

Havent seen that. I know that there are quite a few competitions to take part in if you are good at this. Mostly down under.

http://www.goldenshears.co.nz/

Priscilla said...

What is cloudberry jam? I never heard of cloudberry.

Stefan Jansson said...

It's sweet fruit that tastes great when eaten with cream to waffles. It can be found in the northern part of Sweden. Some more info at wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudberry