Tuesday, August 04, 2009

The old Stadsberga Farm

The Birdwatcher

Farm Buildings


Gascoigne Cropstore

As promised here are a few more photos from Stadsberga, the little village in rural Österhaninge. By chance I met the birdwatcher Henrietta on a recent bike ride. And when we realised we here heading the same way we decided it would be fun to hang out for a few hours. Going on a photo shoot with a birdwatcher can be interesting. Every time Henrietta noticed a bird, a butterfly or even a cool cloud(!), she had to stop and have a closer look through her binoculars. Once we got to the village we decided to check out one of the three farms namely Stadsberga Gård. I don't know the owner of this farm so I don't have so much information about the place, but it does look like your typical farm from way back when with a few old barns, big storage silos and more. The big red building on the last photo is Årsta Säteri which once was the largest wooden building in Europe. More photos from Stadsberga (from my visit with Jim), to come.

13 comments:

Lowell said...

A very bucolic and beautiful spot...the farm is "typical" of what I think a farm should look like...but it appears to need a bit of work...

Great photos, Steffe!

Interesting also, is that now it's confirmed: you're for the birds! Heh. Heh. ;-)

brattcat said...

Great shots and changeable weather. You had gray skies and storm skies and blue skies all in one day. She looks to be a very amiable companion.

Leif Hagen said...

Reminds me of visiting my relatives outside of Ornskoldsvik! Mormor var fodt utanfor O-vik! Thanks for the red barn snaps, Steffe Meister!

Don and Krise said...

It's always fun to go exploring with a partner. Probably safer too. I don't know about you, but anytime I see an abandoned building I'm just drawn to it. I just want to go look around and photograph it. These are beautiful photos Steffe. Nice work.

Olivier said...

j'aime bien cette vieille ferme tout en bois rouge. Les maisons a l'abandon sont souvent de très bon sujet

I like this old wooden farmhouse red. The abandoned houses are often very good topic

eamon@ewmphotography said...

Love the barn - looks like a good place for loving ;) And so you met a bird-watcher, eh Steffe? Does she know of your own bird-watching hobby? :)

Stefan Jansson said...

I do like exploring abandoned places, this farm is not abandoned although some of the buildings are no longer in use. I do believe Henrietta is up to par when it comes to my photos of all types of birds! We first met back in 2007. And you all know the spot. It was over at the old tree. She was there with her binoculars and camera. There's no need to concern yourself with safety while exploring around Haninge.

Lois said...

I like to bird watch too, so I would have really enjoyed wandering around there with Henrietta! Nice photos!

Anonymous said...

These are nice farm photos. I enjoyed my visit.Help me Make History.

Pick a Peck of Pixels

Tinsie said...

I love these old red buildings. Any idea why they're painted red?

stromsjo said...

Never underestimate the power of cool clouds!

Stefan Jansson said...

Nearly all barns are painted red. It's tradition really. The color used is as Swedish as it gets. And it has a long story. It is called Falu Red. Falu is the city of Falun in Dalarna. And the red comes from a copper mine. You can read some more about it here.


I totally understand about the clouds Per. I'm always looking to see if I can see any faces or animals or whatever up there.

Tinsie said...

Many thanks for the info and the link! I've wanted to know about the red cottages for such a long time, it's great to finally understand where the paint comes from etc.

Dalarna must be where the dala horses come from, right? I love dala horses :-)