Monday, August 17, 2009

A Man and his Art

A Man and his Art

This is Johnny Svensson. He is an artist and painter. I took this portrait last week at his studio. He lives in a former school building at Gålö. The school was built back in 1914 and belonged to the nearby Stegsholm farm. The school closed in 1968. Johnny has had a studio here behind the school since 1986. And he has lived here since 1997. He got his education from an art school in Stockholm at the Pernby School of Painting. He averages a couple of exhibitions every year, either at Dalarö here in Haninge, or at Fjäderholmarna in Stockholm. His watercolors often depicts local motives and I recognised quite a few familiar buildings, castles and even the S/V Ariel that I have shown you a photo of before. It was framed and hung on a wall, but Johnny kindly removed the glass and frame so that I could get a photo of his painting. After I had taken my photos we walked out into the garden where there were a few more paintings to look at. Finally we had a look inside the old class room that still has the traditional big windows. That room, which was very beautiful, is today the Svensson's living room. On my way out I noticed a painting of a naked woman (hard to miss I know). I didn't take a photo of it. It depicted an attractive young woman and Johnny informed me that it was a girlfriend from his youth.

10 comments:

VP said...

The story of Johnny and the idea of living in an old school is fascinating. Watercolor is an uncompromising technique and he seems to master it very well. I like the few paintings shown, any more spare images? Great post and another fine portrait, I hope he appreciated it.

Don and Krise said...

Glad he is making use of the building. Maybe we'll see more of his work one of these days?

Amy said...

yes interesting about Johnny, loving the painting in the background.

Mo said...

Love his work

brattcat said...

I'm glad you shot him in front of his art. Nice portrait.

Kim said...

Johnny should be very glad he met you, Steffe. THAT is one GORGEOUS portrait you've made. I love the light.

I have an assignment from a workshop I took last month. I was to compliment a stranger on something I admire about their appearance, engage them in a conversation, then ask to make their portrait and movethem into better available light or use a reflector. Wish me luck! I'd love for one shot to be half as successful as this, so wish me luck. I photographed a teenager from Italy visiting here with a group, and he was wearing a hat just like this! I've been practicing with mixed success. I may post a result to SDP if the shot turns out.

Unknown said...

Is he a tortured artist? He doesn't look very happy. Maybe he's still upset about the "one that got away?"

Stefan Jansson said...

Ha ha I don't think so Yoork, probably just wishing that the photographer would finish shooting! I will see if I can show you some more photos Mr- Poet. I got an invitation to come back for coffee whenever I was in the neighbourhood. On my visit they also had an yard sale and a group of people were enjoying coffee in the garden.

eamon@ewmphotography said...

Really sharp photo - you must be proud of this one.

Leif Hagen said...

Nice portrait of a Swedish artist! It would be fun to look through his art works! Artsy - love it! Du har inte svarat pa min email an.