Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Betania

The old Baptist Chapel

Log Cabin

Time for another visit to rural Österhaninge. This time to a place called Beteby. Not far from Stadsberga, and it was after a visit to that village that I decided to continue down the gravel road for another kilometre or so. I have noticed a few unusual looking buildings here on previous visits, and luckily for me I saw the owner out working in the garden, so I walked in and introduced myself. This is Betania. The name comes from the biblical village Bethany. Today a private home, but once upon a time this was a Baptist Chapel. I was invited to have a look inside, and the old building hasn't changed much since it served as a chapel. The other building also has an interesting history. It is a "loftbod" from 1880. And it has travelled a long way, 930 kilometres. Originally it stood in the village Bodsvedjan, outside Boden, not far from the Fortress. Many years ago a young girl used to sleep in the hut. But when she grew older and moved south she decided to take the old loftbod with her. So today it stands in the garden at Betania. When it was first built it was most likely used for food storage.

11 comments:

MrsLittleJeans said...

This is quite nice. I marvel at the gorgeous weather you have there too.

Olivier said...

superbes maisons, j'aime bien la deuxième

John said...

Lovely old building, great weathered look and texture. It would probably look great in monochrome as well.

brattcat said...

I always want you to open the doors, Steffe, and take us inside. Nosey, aren't I? But you make us long to enter right into your photographs.

Lois said...

I like that wine color on the walls of the first building. The flower bed in front of it seems to have plants with a matching color!

Unknown said...

Both houses are lovely! I wonder what the feeling is like when you live in an old church!...

cieldequimper said...

This is idyllic!

Stefan Jansson said...

It has been a great summer although there was some rain today, and obviously I was out on the bike...


I should of course have taken a few photos inside, but we were talking and I had put back the camera in the back a few minutes before, but I could always go back some day.

VP said...

I am not sure to understand exactly what a loftbod is, but its story is fascinating. Any way to know something more?

Stefan Jansson said...

It's a traditional timbered building used for food storage. Often two stories high with a small balcony on the second story. During the summer time people working on the farms could sleep there, and bedware and clothing was also stored there The loftbod dates back to the Medieval times.

Leif Hagen said...

Steffe Meister - I love these old building photos. Makes me think of traditional Sweden, ahhh!