Friday, August 28, 2009

Midday Entertainment

Taxi Stand Steel Band

Mime Artist

Say Cheese

There was some entertainment at the official unveiling of Haninge's new Bookmobile at Poseidon's Square on Thursday. After a speech by local politician Michael Fridebäck (M), the Taxi Stand Steel Band lined up in front of the Cultural Centre and started playing, and they were great. As the Bookmobile is a library mostly for pre school kids, the clown and mime artist Bo W Lindström from Pantomimteatern put on a show for the younger people in the audience. There was some drama as the wind suddenly picked up during his performance and the set blew away, but as the seasoned pro he is he improvised and continued like nothing had happened. There was a lot of photographers around and as I always do I tried taking photos of all of them. As I was talking to the artist Kristoffer Zetterstrand, a woman came up to us. She turned out to be a journalist student and I figured she would be up for a portrait, but she quickly explained that she was more comfortable behind the camera.

20 comments:

Lowell said...

Nice series Steffe! Is that the first turn-down you've gotten for a portrait?

Maybe she took your portrait?

MrsLittleJeans said...

Nice!

Jim said...

These are great.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Don and Krise said...

Again, the bookmobile is a wonderful program, and as far as the photographer she may have stayed behind the lens, but you did manage to make her smile.

Olivier said...

belle série, avec une préférence sur la photo du clown
nice series, with a priority on the photograph of the buffoon

VP said...

Nice set of photos, the band is good but the clown win the day.
One day someone will stop you asking politely if he can take a photo of you for a project called 100 strangers...

eamon@ewmphotography said...

Love the photo of Bo in particular. Did the journalist student know that you took the portrait nevertheless..? ;)

Amit Gupta said...

interesting

John said...

She may be behind the camera, but it's still an effective portrait.

Stefan Jansson said...

I try my best to forget all the times I have been turned down! The photographer you see here isn't the journalist student. This woman works for the municipality I think. I have another photo of her in a somewhat unflattering position. She was lying on the ground trying to get a close-up on a kid who was looking at the clown. And it is possible that she took a photo of me as I was inside the bookmobile talking to some people there. The future journalist and I talked about portraits, and I told her about the 100 Strangers project. I didn't give her my card as she wouldn't let me take her portrait, but I did tell her about this blog and my flickr site. Then half an hour later or so, I spotted her leaving the Cultural Centre and just had time to get a few quick snaps of her as she was walking away. I got an email from the artist Kristoffer today, he was happy with my post about the bookmobile, and asked if he could use some of my photos on his web site.

Anonymous said...

I like the comment of the student journalist. I also like your photos as usual.

Pick a Peck of Pixels.

Small City Scenes said...

But you got her picture anyway. What a fun happening for a bookmobile opening. When I was a kid I loved the bookmobile. I used to get a wagon full of books. MB

brattcat said...

This is a really fine little series of photos, Steffe.

Lois said...

I love steel drum music! Sounds like a wonderful day.

Lorac said...

First visit to your blog! Very nice!

tapirgal said...

These are great! All excellent photos! I love your portraits, but the band, all in a line in red and silver (with the reflections) is also perfect :) Nice post all around.

Leif Hagen said...

I love steel drum music - makes me dream about being on vacation in the Caribean! Great snaps, Steffe Meister - God helg!

Unknown said...

lol. I love how you photographed her anyway. Is if "asking for a portrait" was really just a courteous formality!

That's great.

amatamari© said...

This series is really beautiful!
I like it - in particular -
the first and the last picture!
Wonderful light!

Malin said...

More photos of the clown Bo W Lindström is to be seen at http://www.pantomimteatern.se