Monday, January 12, 2009

Nils the Fisherman

Nils the Fisherman

This is Nils Södergren from Västerhaninge. I met him on the frozen Lake Rudan the other day, where he was ice fishing without any luck. Although he did get 25 perch last weekend when he was fishing at Finska Viken (Finnish Bay), at Muskö. That's not the official name Nils told me, we call it that because there's always a group of Finns there fishing! Nils who is in his eighties has lived in Haninge for many years. He spent 17 years in the Swedish Navy ,and was stationed on pretty much every vessel they had during that time. Back in the late 1940ths there was a big fire in Handen (that's how Brandbergen (Fire Hill), got it's name) and Nils and the Navy was involved in putting out that fire (as was my dad who was a volunteer fire fighter in Tungelsta back then). After leaving the Navy, Nils and his wife opened a fish shop in Västerhaninge a shop that they owned for some 30 years (they sold it in 1989). After this brief conversation, I took a couple of photos and that was that.

Nils doesn't have Internet access so he said he'd have a look at my photos when visiting his kids. I hope you like the shot Nils!

3 comments:

stromsjo said...

Another good portrait. January has been a lot friendlier weather-wise than we're used to.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I'm sure he will. He has a face that could tell many stories.

Stefan Jansson said...

Thanks Per. You are correct there Babooshka I had a feeling I could still be there on the ice listening to Nils.