Monday, January 19, 2009

The kitchen

The Kitchen

I got a guided tour around a spooky old house the other day. Over the years I have heard all sorts of rumours about this place. The property was recently sold. The new owners was hoping to renovate the building, but after a thorough examination they have decided to tear it down and build a new home. The walk-around gave me a shock. The house has no modern facilities at all. No running water or even a toilet. This is the kitchen. Like in the other rooms in the old house it doesn't look as the kitchen has ever been cleaned. The stove is an wood-burning Husquarna 727. This model dates back to 1939. Renovated these sell for around 8000 SEK. It's impossible to think that someone actually lived here up until last year. But that is the sad truth. For the last month or so the new owners have been busy cleaning out the house that was jam packet with stuff. On my visit there was still a lot of stuff left so I will give you another look tomorrow.

7 comments:

Becky said...

Oh wow. I don't even know what to say. I can't believe someone was living there up until last year. That's exciting that these people will get to have a brand new house, but it's sad that this old house cannot be restored. I wish people would take care of history! It's all we have to tell our story!

Walker said...

That is amazing. Looking forward to the other pictures. Gosh! So interesting. In the day I would think this was top of the line modern. Fantastic capture.

Ken Mac said...

this is incredible. HOpe you will post many more. I love the weird, freaky, hippie like red stickies all over every thing. This just breathes ancient history. Spooky for sure. Great, great shot.

Julie said...

Quite like this shot, Steffe. I wonder if the people lived like that because they chose to or because they had no other choice?

I think a bulldozer might be the best solution. No doubt there are rats and other infestations ... ugh!

Stefan Jansson said...

The family did own this property for 100 years. Two sisters first bought it. One of them later married and their family with three sons lived here. One of the sons lived here up until last year when he sold the house, he still live nearby, but now in a modern flat. I have a few more photos to come.

Anonymous said...

Great shots as always Steffe,

I have wondered many times walking by how it looks inside, but before they took down all the trees it was hard to see anything, but this is great. During winter the last years there has only been one soft light in one of the windows and no other signs of life. A small path in the snow revealed someone actually lived there but he was never interested in neither landscaping or renovating it seemed...

kuanyin333 said...

So much history...so many ghosts!