Thursday, January 29, 2009

Demolition Time at Stenliden

Stenliden

Talk about leaving it to the last possible moment. This is Stenliden. Perhaps not a famous building in Tungelsta, but with a lot of history. Over the years it has housed a school. It has also served as a library. And back in the 1950ths the nurse lived here and worked here. For the last few years local historian Åke Rhudin rented the house from the council, but he moved out late last year. Today as I walked by, the demolishing team had arrived. I have never been inside, so I took my chance and walked in for a photo shoot. Inside I ran into an old friend of my parents, who was there for a final look. As I walked out after my photo shoot, the demolition started, and as I'm typing this there's probably not much left of Stenliden. I will show some more photos in a day or two.


The reason for the demolition is the construction of a new bridge. In the next few years a second rail track will be built between Västerhaninge and Tungelsta (a 3,2 km stretch), and three old railroad crossings will be closed. The new bridge will span the rail tracks, and one other property ( a horse farm at Lillhammar) will also be demolished as a new road will be built.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always sad to see old history go! Great shot, looking forward to seeing what it looks like inside.

Kris McCracken said...

How do these old buildings hold up the the cold weather?

Sally said...

Thanks for "viviting" me at the tennis. I saw your great heros, Mats Wilander and Joakim Nystrom playing a "legends" match against Mark Phillipousis and Henri LeConte. It was very entertaining. And last night Wilander played Pat Cash in the singles legends final. Unlike their last great match, Cash won this time!

Stefan Jansson said...

Obviously all houses here are built to withstand cold winters. So they have a good insulation to start with. Not sure when this house was built, but I'm guessing about the same time as the house I'm living in was built, which would make it 100 years old. Built with a chimney and I'm sure they had a boiler or two back then. And also a number of cast iron radiators.