Monday, September 20, 2010

The Wood Grouse

Capercaillie


Capercaillie


The New Iron Gate


The blacksmith Martin Ahlsén (he is the guy with the museum and the Viking Market), has made the new iron gates at the old alehouse/district court building in Västerhaninge. The building dates back to 1734. Today it is used by the homestead society, Haninge Hembygdsgille, where I am a member. The Wood grouse, or Capercaillie, on the gates is part of the Haninge coat of Arms, and you can see the bird on some of the runic inscriptions in Haninge. To see the old gates press here.

8 comments:

Sharon Creech said...

Look at THAT! Beautiful. I'm having a day of coincidences, revising a ms. First, Birdman's post contained something similar to a passage I'd written, and now this photo of yours, so similar to a passage about iron gates w/2 tall black crows on them. I know those aren't crows, but . . .

Olivier said...

une belle maison tout en bois, j'aime bien

Craig said...

Nice framing of the bird and green door in the top picture.

MrsLittleJeans said...

Lovely craftsmanship and lovely home...thank you.

paul said...

A gate fitting the stately house. Great craftsmanship, and great photography.

Peter said...

It is a work of art - and great framed photo

stromsjo said...

Will they open smoothly and silently?

Stefan Jansson said...

I did actually open and close the gates a few times whitout too much trouble Per. I was there both on Sunday and Monday. On my first visit, a dinner was planned in the alehouse and as I was shooting a car drove up and wanted me to let it in. So I opened the gate and held out my hand but they didn't pay me anything!