Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Race Village

95 Dancing Bear Wasahamnen Mumm 36 Segelbåt Dehler 35 Museum of Wrecks Busy times Dockline Bénéteau
I visited the Race Village over the weekend. That is a very temporary name given to the area around Wasahamnen on Royal Djurgården before the start of the annual offshore race Gotland Runt. More than 200 yachts took part this year. Little did they know what would come. The race got under way on Sunday, and within the first 24 hours more than 150 of the participants had called it a day because of a sudden change in the weather. One crew had to be rescued with the help of a helicopter, because of the strong winds and high waves. The first boat to make it all the way was one of the catamaran boats, the Allegra, you can see it to the left on my second photo. You can see the rest of my photos in my Race Village album.

7 comments:

Rob Siemann said...

Fun!

s.c said...

That's pretty crowded on the water. It captures the atmosphere perfectly.

William Kendall said...

Sounds like quite an event, but still at the mercy of nature.

Sharon said...

I was looking at all the photos and thinking it looked like a lovely day to be on the water. It's too bad the weather turned.

RedPat said...

Too bad the weather spoiled all the fun.

roentare said...

I love the shot with the whole crew on the sail. Great energy there

Jack said...

Sometimes I think my less athletic lifestyle makes more sense.