Friday, July 22, 2011

The Nigerian Nuns

Daughters of Mary Mother of Mercy

I met two nuns earlier this week. This is Sister Veronica and Sister Lilian. They are from Nigeria. Both of them were invited to Sweden by the Bishop, Anders Arborelius. Veronica has been here for three years, and Lilian for four years. Their Swedish was quite good. I noticed them in Handen not far from the Catholic church, and decided to ask them for a portrait. We talked a bit about their work here in Sweden, and also about their religious habit. They either wear this blue dress or a white version. They don't know how long their stay here in Haninge will last. I told them about Sara, the priestess that I have photographed a few times. Lilian told me that she had met The Prince a few times. After this chat I took a few photos and showed them to the nuns and they looked happy with the result.

14 comments:

Olivier said...

sympathique ce portraits des deux soeurs

Jack said...

It is hard to imagine a climate much different than their own than Sweden. I wonder what they think of long summer days and short winter days, and the winter snow.

Halcyon said...

They are certainly far from home. They look like nice ladies for sure.

Leif Hagen said...

Nice portrait of them, Steffe! Did they invite you to worship with them?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Lovely portrait Steffe, they have such warm kind faces.

Bob Crowe said...

This makes me think of two Smurfettes.

Exchange 2007 said...

Nice photo!

Leeds daily photo said...

Not your usual kind of ladies Steffe. Yours is the only CDP blog that I can rely on to get a photo of a vicar that is a babe.

Stefan Jansson said...

Ha ha, they did no Leift. And I would kindly have said no thank you had they asked, but you already knew that.

I'm hoping to meet that vicar soon again Paul, as I would like to tell you about that secret we discussed last time we met.

Andy said...

Seeing nuns in my part Canada is very rare. Even though I have seen them before blue nuns were even more rare of a sight to see.

Luis Gomez said...

Excellent portrait! I like Bob's comment.

CaT said...

what a nice photo!

Stefan Jansson said...

I met Lilian again yesterday, she was on her mobile, but had time to say that she had seen the photo and liked it.

Sharon Creech said...

Love that blue, love their expressions.