Sunday, June 05, 2011

A Long Way From Home

A Long Way From Home

I recently met two tourists in Handen. Roland and Theresa from Switzerland. They are out on a seven week long bike ride through Northern Europe. They arrived to Sweden one month ago, only to head over to Finland. They told me that it had been very cold over there. Now they were on their way to the ferry port in Nynäshamn, from where they will travel by boat over to Gotland. From there they will go back to the main land via Oskarshamn, and from there they will ride south to either Ystad or Malmö before heading back home. Roland has a bad back so they change bikes every now and then.

13 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

Great picture Steffe!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Good morning Steffe, you have to admire some people for their adventurous spirit, even with a sore back he carries that load around! It's very interesting to read the stories of the people you meet. Have a great Sunday.

Jack said...

I am impressed. That is quite a trip, even for those who have no back problems. Nice photo.

Lowell said...

I love riding bike, but this kind of thing is way too strenuous and stressful! Looks like they're having fun, though.

I'd think her bike, being one of those collapsible things would be difficult to ride, too.

Thanks, Steffe, for your nice words on Ocala DP.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

A 7-week bike ride with a bad back does not sound like a vacation to me. Ouch. They must be hearty souls.

VP said...

When I was 18 I rode my bike to Vada, 30 km south of Livorno and managed to come back. That was all and I am older and lazier now...

Gunn said...

Så bra Steffe!
Du er så flik til å finne interessante folk, og til å få dem til å slappe av foran kamera!
Sporty people,- the Swiss couple!

Karl said...

Good photo Steffe, they are to admire.

Birdman said...

Never could understand the little bikes.

Sharon said...

What a great experience to travel that way! They appear to be posed in front of the largest lilac bush I've ever seen.

Home Inspector Marketing said...

Wow, you got a lot of good pics out there...

Stefan Jansson said...

I actually stopped them in a middle of a steep climb! I am always very impressed by people who go for long bicycle holidays. Sure beats travelling in a car!

kat said...

Is that bicycle on the right comfortable? It has an odd seating position with the pedals up so high and the seat so low. Maybe that would make it more comfortable for longer rides... It must given how far these people have gone!