Sunday, July 14, 2013

Riding the electric bike

Riding the electric bike
Last year the municipality invested in a number of electric bikes. They bought them from the bike shop that I use. If you work for the municipality you can use the bikes during the work day. That's what Åsa had done the other day when she and a colleague stopped for some refreshments at the cafe. I asked if it was fun riding the bikes. Not really was the answer, we can't recharge the bike battery so it was a sweaty ride...

6 comments:

VP said...

We have some around here and I think that the beasts are quite dangerous: you can at least hear a coming scooter, but not these traps, which are usually heavy and without a good braking system. People who ride them are in a category apart...
I am speaking of what happens here, not up there!

Lowell said...

I've not seen electric bikes like these. The idea sounds good, but isn't riding a bike supposed to provide some exercise? We have a few folks who ride bikes equipped with a small gas motor, but they're dangerous on the highway as they don't go fast enough and they're hard to see.

Stefan Jansson said...

The idea is that you can use the engine when you are tired or when you ride uphill. The batteries are quite small and effective these days and not very heavy, but it's weird that they can't recharge them!

RedPat said...

I haven't see ones like that. We have a lot of the ones that look like scooters and they are a pain - you can't here them coming behind you. Other bike riders and pedestrians hate them.
I alway feel shy about sitting taking candid shots of people - I should get over it.

Bob Crowe said...

Good images, insightful comment. So what good are they?

Stefan Jansson said...

I guess they are as good as any normal bike, and as it is a bit heavier with the non-working battery, you will get a very good workout using them! I told the people at my bike shop about the problem and they looked very surprised.