Thursday, April 02, 2009

There's always a story waiting to be told

There's always a story waiting to be told

So I'm at the national park. Taking spring photos and enjoying the sunshine. A woman with a horse walks by. I ask if I can take a photo of the horse. I snap a few and that's that. But after shooting some 130 portraits over the last year, I know that there's always a story to be told. And here it is. This is Carola, she is from Stockholm. A successful business woman. With her own company. Worked in the advertising industry for many years. Made a lot of money. But then she felt that something was missing from her life. By chance she and her husband visited Tyresta, a place she didn't know existed, despite living only 20 km away. And as she walked around the farm, it hit her. This was the life she wanted to lead. Working at a farm, with all the animals. So she sold the business. Asked the caretaker at the farm if she could work there, sure he said, but I can't pay you anything. That was 14 years ago. When I met her two days ago Carola was on her way back to the stable after she and Buster had been visiting the kindergarten up the road. As they often do. And guess if the kids loves Buster! And now 14 years later Carola still loves life at the farm, despite not having as much money any more. Thanks for the story Carola!

9 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for taking the time to interview her. You have met people with amazing stories to tell, and this was a wonderful one to hear. I think it takes guts to pack it in and do what you feel you are meant to especially when it doesn't bring income and your rewards are mainly intrinsic. Cool lady, and I like your portrait of her and her pint sized equine buddy.
-Kim

Antjas said...

Steffe, your recent posts speak well of your personality, to be able to draw out these wonderful stories of everyday people. You must have one of the most endearing traits (besides probably being cute) and that is the ability to listen.

cieldequimper said...

A very nice reminder that there's more to life than money (though a little heps!)

crocrodyl said...

Indeed, very thought-provoking story.

stromsjo said...

Looks like a quality moment in that new life of hers. The sun always helps of course, in national parks and elsewhere.

Stefan Jansson said...

Thanks people. You do get to hear the most amazing stories if you listen to people Antjas! And as for the cuteness factor, I have hundreds of self portraits over at flickr. It was a beautiful day Per.

Lowell said...

Great photo and an even greater story. Maybe you ought to compile these various interviews and put together a book...

Anonymous said...

Nice story and what a cute pony. I like the color the red fence adds. My kids love to ride ponies so I'll have to show this to them.

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Martha

http://smallpet.info