Sunday, April 05, 2009

Abandoned or not?

Abandoned or not

Together with my flickr contact Jim I checked out another abandoned house the other day. In Jordbro, near a stream where there once stood a mill, you will find this old building known as Kvarntäppan. As we climbed over the fence and walked closer I noticed that the windows on the second floor looked brand new, although the glass was broken. As far as I know the last person to live here was an elderly woman, but she moved out years ago. The door was locked, but another door had been removed so I went inside. There was no furniture left but there was some tools lying around in a room where the floor was missing! On the second floor I found more new windows and a room that looked newly renovated. A bit of a mystery this old house. Abandoned or not, hard to say. I took a few more photos and you can have a look for yourself here. I will try to find out more about this place.

12 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Adventures in Jordbro... ;-) It does look a bit derelict.

Guy D said...

Wow what a great find, this is such a dramtic photo.

Cheers!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

VP said...

Keep it safe. They have power tools and everything is quite in order for an abandoned house. Do they own it or are organized squatters? Let us know.

Stefan Jansson said...

I don't know. It could be squatters, I believe the building is owned by the council. I was at Kvarntäppan with a friend who had suggested to the local politicians that the place should be made into a youth centre and that sounds like a great idea to me.

Lowell said...

Love the photo. Love a mystery. Maybe a homeless person moved in. Maybe the woman's son is fixing it up bit by bit. Maybe a nefarious grand nephew killed the old woman and is now taking over her property to run his drug ring.

Stefan Jansson said...

You should write a novel Jacob!

PurestGreen said...

Wonderful photos -keep them coming.

Walker said...

Interesting post and great capture.

Anonymous said...

We can, in our country, get on the Internet, go to the county where the house is located and search for property owners. It is all public information. I wonder if the same is true for your country? You could find out who is paying taxes on it. It looks pretty nice to be abandoned.

Stefan Jansson said...

Yes, there many archives open for the public if you want this type of info. To get the current owners name and all previous owners going back to the time this house was build, you would need to pay a little fee. Luckily I know someone with an account at that particular government agency so I might give him a call.

Stefan Jansson said...

Some facts I got from my sisters husband Svenerik. The original spelling is Quarntäppan. There might have been a fire here a while back and he didnt know that the place was abandoned. It's the only farm in Jordbro, ever. It dates nearly 300 years, long before Jordbro existed. Back then the property was owned by a bigger farm called Kalvsvik. And as a real curiosity, a previous owner was a woman called Emma Hessling, a relative to my grandfathers adopted sister! And if you have a few minutes, here are some really great photos from the area from earlier posts at this blog.

Anonymous said...

I hope someone's fixing it up, little by little ... and legally. With all the building of new places going on there, I like to think there's 'preservation' of the past going on,too.

lili