Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Seen any birds?

Seen any birds?

I spotted a birdwatcher yesterday. Kinda easy as there aren't too many other people walking around with binoculars. But I was still a bit surprised as it was a very cold day, the temperature was around -12 Celsius. Anyway, this is Magnus. When I talked to him in Västerhaninge he had just seen a few Lapland Longspurs at Ribbyberg, and four Collared Doves in a nearby garden. Magnus has been a birdwatcher for twenty years. He lives in Segersäng, (a few commuter stations to the south), and works the night shift as a nursing assistant at a nursing home. We talked a bit about digiscoping, a method that a lot of people use these days and Magnus had been toying with the idea. After our talk I actually found the Doves he had seen, but I couldn't take any photo as my camera batteries had gone to sleep.

10 comments:

Olivier said...

par ce temps , il faut etre courageux pour rester dehors a regarder les oiseaux, mais c'est une belle activité au printemps

brattcat said...

Brrrrr. That's a chilly hobby.

Kate said...

He looks dressed for the occasion. And, he must be dedicated to be out and about in cold weather.

Janet said...

I'm enjoying your photos of people and their outdoor winter activities.

Lois said...

Yes I think he is a very dedicated birdwatcher to be out on such a cold day! I like to watch birds too, but mostly in my backyard.

Halcyon said...

Your camera seems to be a good invitation to meet many interesting people. Too bad you did not get a shot of the doves. Maybe next time!

Gordon said...

You do meet many interesting people; Magnus is certainly dedicated to be out watching in the cold weather.

VP said...

Two brave guys out with this weather: the birdwatcher and our photographer!

Stefan Jansson said...

Apparently it's very rare to see that dove in this area, so I'm glad I did walk over to have a look. I'm glad too that I have been able to shoot a few outdoor winter portraits.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I can't imagine anyone bird watching in winter. I lived in Canada for 3 years, and all I remember was the freezing cold.

Right now, I am in Australia, the weather is the other extreme, sometimes burning.

Please tell your bird watcher to come to Australia and watch the birds. Lots of it. I just posted photo for birds, meme Friday shootout: annkschin.blogspot.com
Came via Gordon's site,