Friday, January 01, 2010

Bergdalen over the years

Bergdalen 1912

Bergdalen

Change is the theme for January. This is Bergdalen, the place that I call home. On the first photo you can see how the house looked when it was new back in 1912. Three years after my great grandparents bought Bergdalen and started Tungelsta's first plant nursery.The greenhouse business is still around, although the owners have changed. Tody it is called Blomorado. The people standing to the left are my great grandfather Johan Fredrik Jansson. His wife, my great grandmother Hilda Charlotta Jansson, born Eriksson. The young kid is my grandfather Harald Fredrik Jansson, he should have been nine years old when the photo was taken. The second photo shows Bergdalen as it looks today. Some exterior changes has obviously taken place in the last century. For starters, the color has changed. The house was red back then, today it's a creamy yellow. The veranda and living-room area dates back to the 1970's. Some of the birch trees in front of the house are gone, due to a few powerful storms. Other than that the place looks the same a century later!

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

15 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Godt Nytt Ar, Steffe Meister! Vilken slott ut i skogen! Valdigt vackert och stort! Da har du sakert plats for fester och gaster! Du ar duktig med slaktforskning!

Jilly said...

How absolutely fabulous, Steffe, to have this wonderful photograph of your family 100 years ago and to be able to make these comparisons. Well, the house is utterly charming then and now.

Thanks for all your fabulous photographs. I wish you and your loved ones a very happy 2010, peace and love and health x

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

This was a great post. It is wonderful to have this connection with your ancestors. I am sad that my mother, whose family emigrated from Sweden to the USA a little over 100 years ago, did not preserve their family roots, and I do not even know what part of Sweden they came from, which made me feel quite ignorant when I visited Sweden several years ago.

Happy New Year. I look forward to continuing to check our photos each morning.

Anonymous said...

I have found some nice photos from 2007 and 2008 that I would like to use in my blogs but last night was a bad night for me and I didn't get much rest. Most of the time I had one coughing fit after another. I thought I would try to just say, "thanks" to those who stopped today. I appreciate the comments, visits and prayers. I hope things will get back to normal soon.

Halcyon said...

I love comparing the old days to now. The home has not changed drastically, but I do like the new color.

Wishing you all the best in 2010!

Clueless in Boston said...

Very nice post. I enjoyed seeing your old house. That kind of explains your interest in the old tree too:) Happy New Year, may you have only health and happiness in 2010.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

excellent interpretation for theme day and amazing to see a house from 1912 and today. You have had wonderful photos for all of us to enjoy this past year. truly excellent. I look forward to more of your wonderful photos in 2010. Happy New year!

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

It does look the same, hardly any "changes"! How wonderful to have the old photos of your ancestors to look at, as well as the ancestral house. Happy New Year,
Three Rivers Daily Photo

brattcat said...

I feel as if I've been whisked through time. Excellent job with the theme, Steffe.

Don and Krise said...

This is one of my favorites for Theme Day. I'm a sucker for old nostalgic photos and I guess 100 years qualifies. Nice post Steffe.

Judy said...

Wow, that is change. Beautiful old house.

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

Fine post.
Happy new year from Troyes, Radonvilliers and France

Gunn said...

You are a very lucky man, Steffe!:-)
What a beautiful HOME.
GODT NYTT ÅR!

IamMBB said...

Surviving change. How wonderful!

Unknown said...

How wonderful to be the 4th generation of your family to live in the same house. That is not common in our time.