Saturday, July 26, 2008

Leah

The Princess

This is Leah Trolin Petrén. I met her at Dalarö after taking a photo of her father Prince Mikael. Leah's mother is the famous belly dancer Suzanne Petrén Abou Shebika, and you can see a painting of her and read an interesting story about Suzanne that Leah told me, here. Leah spent a few years of her childhood in Cairo when her mother was working there. Now she lives in Stockholm and works at the EKC dance school. Leah told me that they have 600 students and that it is the biggest belly dancing school in Europe. She recently came back from a visit to Egypt where she normally spends a couple of month every year. To get away from her normal life in Sweden, she took a year off and spent that time in Dublin. I worked as a waitress from 3 pm to 10 pm and after that I went clubbing. I soon started to hang out with artists, actors and deejays and realised that that was my kind of people she told me. Here's where the story gets a bit odd. Leah tells me that she has family in Tungelsta (where I live), oh I say, who would that be? Her name is June says Leah. Not June Hägg by any chance I ask? Yes! How did you know that? Well because June is married to my cousin Rolf I tell her. We are both a bit surprised and start laughing as we realise that we are family! So the family tree looks like this. June's brother Dan, in Leah's grandfather. June's husband Rolf Hägg is one of my cousins on my mothers side of the family. How about that!

This is my 64th photo for the 100 Strangers project. You can see the rest of my strangers in my Set.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An excellent portrait and that is quite a twist with your/her family.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo