Friday, May 25, 2007

The Toothache Tree

Toothache Tree

In Sweden a "naturminne" is a protected object, area, or as in this case, a tree. It was known as the Toothache Tree in the local folklore. To cure a bad toothache you walked up to the lonely tree on this field in Österhaninge, and as you stood there the magic happened. Probably a better deal than going to the local dentist /blacksmith back then. There are many trees like this all around the country and the way you cured the toothache differs from place to place. Bigger photo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anything like this in my life. An interesting specimen.

Today, the final pictures of the series, "A Day in the Life of a Robin," is online. I couldn't decide which picture to use. I hope you get to see them.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

Är det trädet som står vid vägen som går mot Österhaninge från Nynäsvägen nära Ribbyskolan?

Stefan Jansson said...

Rätt gissat. That's the one. I have a few more photos of this tree over at flickr.

stromsjo said...

Odd-looking tree. It appears to be having some toothache of its own… :)

Martel said...

Finally Internet (Because I can have Internet only the weekend and the public holidays), I can visit your blog. This weekend I present Martel in version black and white. I prefer the photographs in b&w and you?

My blog photographs on the town of Martel

Stefan Jansson said...

As a tree fanatic, this is on my visit every now and then list!