Thursday, May 10, 2018

The view from the new observation tower

Utsiktstorn The Power Plant The Medieval Church Tornberget Tornberget
The new observation tower at Tornberget. The highest point at Södertörn at 111 m a.s.l. It's a 25 minute hike through the forest if you walk from Tornbergavägen in Tungelsta which is what I did together with my buddy Hasse earlier in the week. The old tower was dismantled back in 1981 and this new tower opened for visitors a couple of months ago, although the official unveiling was last weekend. On a good day you can see the medieval church in Västerhaninge, Jordbro, Handen, Brandbergen, the archipelago, the old masts at Nacka, Tyresta national park, the Globe Arena in Stockholm and a quite a few more buildings in the nations capitol. We saw all of that as it was a fantastic Summer day with a blue sky and maybe 24C. The different parts of the tower was assembled at the Tornberga farm and then flown by helicopter to the hill side where it stands today. This will be a popular place to visit from now on, I have several friends that are planning to either hike from handen or bike through the forest on mountain-bike. I will return to the tower myself in a few weeks time equipped with more zoom power and a sturdy tripod and also with barbecue material as the tables near the tower are a good place for a picnic. On the second photo you can see the power plant in Jordbro. Third photo shows the medieval church that I showed you on my Walpurgis Night post a while back. The fourth snap really shows that I live smack in the middle of a forest as that is all you can see of Tungelsta, it is the new buildings at Lillgården that I have shown you a few times during their construction. The last photo shows a few famous buildings in Stockholm including the Globe Arena and the Kaknäs Tower.

6 comments:

Stuart said...

That is so great. My wife teases me about my penchant for climbing whatever tall thing is available. Towers, buildings, mountains, whatever. I'm looking forward to seeing your zoomier shots.

William Kendall said...

Solidly built. It reminds me a bit of an old fire tower in our province's cottage country that was turned into an observation tower.

Lowell said...

I like this - it appears to be sturdy and safe and I'd be willing to climb to the top. The vistas from there are amazing. It really is in the middle of a forest.

RedPat said...

You really are out there in the woods! Great pics. Now we can see where you are relative to Stockholm!

Karl said...

Ah, you have a observation tower too ! Forest, forest, forest, all around, great !

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Fantastic views Steffe, I'm glad you explained the different distant views. As Karl said, so much fabulous forests all around, brilliant!