Tuesday, September 16, 2008

European Heritage Days

Janstorp Cottage

This is an old cottage called Janstorp located next to the homestead museum in Västerhaninge. The museum used to be known as Sotholms Härads Tingshus. Originally this little cottage was located in Handen along the Nynäs Road. Last Sunday the museum and the cottage, along with 200 other similar places around Sweden was open for the public during Kulturhusens dag, Savour the Buildings, part of the European Heritage Days. The theme of the 2008 European Heritage Days focuses on buildings which are devoted to producing, preparing or serving food and drink. I met a few of the members, including the photographer, historian and author Bo Stjernström. I have a copy of one of his books, Life and Death at Näringsberg, that he wrote together with his wife Anita who I also briefly met today . I wasnt really hungry, so I skipped the food and enjoyed some coffee and cake with Sune Nilsson another member of the homestead society. I also met the mother of one of my strangers, Agnes, that I met at the gallery in Österhaninge one week ago.

No comments: