Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A new perspective

A new perspective The Bronze Medalist
Spotted this cyclist in Handen. The bike looked interesting so I asked if I could get a few shots. To get the conversation going I asked something like 'what muscle groups gets the best workout here'. That rather stupid question amused Anders Bäckman a bit as the answer was quite obvious. That would be the arms was his response. Four years ago Anders was out on a bike ride (on a normal looking bicycle), when he had an accident. A lorry driver had parked in the bike lane and Anders was left paralyzed after that crash. Hence this bike construction that he uses today. I asked him if he uses the bike often and he said that he rides more today than he did before the accident. Anders lives in Handen and works as an animator. What I didn't ask was anything else, but luckily for me Anders left a comment on flickr and a link to his web site. Turns out he is a world class Tetraplegic Elite Handcyclist, who won Bronze in the very recent world championships!

7 comments:

Andy said...

At least is not giving up. Wonderful attitude.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I really admire people who go on and achieve amazing things after an accident Steffe, very strong willpower.

Birdman said...

Interesting perspective for a photo, but I'd prefer a high-rider to this very low-ride if I was pedaling.

William Kendall said...

I've seen a bicyclist here with a low ride bike, but I don't know if paralysis would have been a factor for him.

VP said...

An incredibly brave guy, but I would be afraid to go around on that thing...

Jack said...

This is a great post, Steffe. He has such a positive attitude.

Stuart said...

That bike looks to be really aerodynamic. That's gotta help when you're relying on arm power instead of leg power. What a dedicated cyclist he is. And an excellent shot of him.