Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Former Prime Minister

The Former Prime Minister

The old Farm

After two rainy days the sun was back yesterday. I decided to make a stop at the National Park in Tyresta. As I was taking a few photos of the farm at the park I could hear a couple walking towards me. When I turned around to say a quick hello I realised that it was our former Prime Minister Ingvar Carlsson and his wife Ingrid, so I decided to ask the former statesman for a portrait, and luckily for me he said yes. Ingvar Carlsson had what must have been the toughest start any Prime Minister could ever have. He was the man who took over as Prime Minister on the night of the murder of Olof Palme back in 1986. In total he was acting PM for around eight years, and I think it is fair to say that he was one of the more popular politicians we have had in this country. So it was nice to meet him like this in the park.

17 comments:

Olivier said...

c'est sympa qu'il est pose pour toi ;o)

Roberto Machado Alves said...

Beautiful images. In the first, a very expressive portrait.

Greetings from Roberto, Brazil

Oakland Daily Photo said...

He's smiling, but his eyes have a real intensity. Looks like he's studying you

Jack said...

Well done, Steffe. His face has character, especially his eyes. Following a popular assassinated head of state is a no-win proposition. Good to read that this man did his job well.

Luis Gomez said...

Great post Steffe!

Gunn said...

I though I had seen him before....
Yes, - on TV in our living room.
Nice photo!

Peter said...

A fine portrait, well taken. Did you also snap his partner?

John said...

I remember the Palme murder, I was living in Copenhagen then; like the recent serial murder in Norway, it didn't seem real in Scandinavia. Nice portrait

Dina said...

Good for you, asking a former PM for a photo! And lucky him, getting such a nice portrait. A wonderful and strong face.

Karen Xavier said...

Very impressive portrait!! He looks wise and somehow peaceful.

Sharon said...

What a nice chance encounter. Lovely portrait.

Mo said...

Shows your confidence and skill that you are able to photograph anyone now.

VP said...

I didn't remember his name, but remember quite well the guy. I am glad to know that there is still some a respected politician somewhere...

Leif Hagen said...

My friend's mormor used to work at the Royal Palace and lived at Slottsbacken 2, the same building as former PM Ingvar Karlsson. PM Karlsson lived on the top floor. Henrik told me that once the PM held the door for him as he was coming into the apartment building to visit his Mormor!

Josy said...

Oh, that's really cool!

And the portrait is fantastic, as usual, of course.

Stefan Jansson said...

Thanks all.

My friend Jim who often visits the National Park told me that he have met the PM four times and had coffee with him on one occasion.

I didn't take a photo of his wife, she walked away when I mentioned the portrait bit, she is probably used to this sort of thing.

You need to update your spelling skills Leif.

Leeds daily photo said...

Interesting portrait Steffe. I cannot imagine many of our former PM's posing like this, first you would have to get past the minders.